Fourth of July Cake
Get the original recipe from Delish here.
- 8 oz. butter, plus more for buttering pan
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 box white cake mix
- Blue food coloring
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 c. confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8-inch round baking pan and line with parchment paper. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan and dust with flour.
- Prepare boxed cake mixes according to package instructions.
- Divide the white cake batter in half in two separate bowls.
- Stir in about 6 drops of blue food coloring into one of the bowls.
- Divide the three colored batters evenly between three squeeze bottles. (You can also use liquid measuring cups.) You will only need about half of the prepared red velvet batter. You can use the rest for cupcakes.
- Start with red. Squeeze about a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Then squeeze about the same amount of the white batter directly on top of the red, followed by an equal pour of the blue batter. Continue alternating between the three batters, making a bulls-eye pattern, gradually decreasing the amount of batter you pour.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the Frosting: Beat together butter and cream cheese until combined. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Frost the cake and decorate with sprinkles.
- Slice and serve!